Saturday, 16 September 2017

Health Watch: What’s Harming It At Home?

Our health is something we all take seriously and for a good reason. But, there are times when we drop the ball. Think about the home as an example. When was the last time you thought “I wonder if this place is safe?” No one asks the question anymore; they assume it to be the case. With asbestos long gone, it doesn’t seem like a necessary question to ask in the first place. Not to scare you, but asbestos isn’t the only household item that is harmful to a person’s health. There are ones which are just as deadly and still exist in homes across the country.

Here are the things which you need to remove as soon as possible.

Gas Fire

Have you ever sat in front of a gas fire on a cold day, felt the warmth, and fell asleep? The reason it makes people drowsy is the fumes it gives off in the process. From nitrogen to sulphur oxides, there are some pretty nasty chemicals entering your system. Even worse is carbon monoxide. Not as popular or well known as CO2, CO is a deadly poison which can seep into the house and your lungs. If you have one, consider replacing it or getting it checked out by a professional.


Uncovered Rubbish

The smell of old bin bags is enough to make a filthy person gag. It isn’t a problem when it goes in a bin and is covered and taken out when full.  The health hazard occurs when the rubbish stagnates and is left to fester. The bacteria begin to double and spread and get into the air. Once you breathe the bacteria from the rubbish dump, it will work its way through the body and cause illnesses. Now that you know, a resource like Same Day Rubbish Removal can get rid of it ASAP. Don’t let waste ruin your health by lying around the house.

Mould

Urgh! Mould. Is. A. Nightmare! To begin with, it is nearly impossible to get rid of once it attaches itself to the walls. Don’t be fooled – ventilation and a lack of moisture don’t work. More importantly, the mould is a form of bacterium which dirties the air and causes health issues. From skin and eye irritation to coughing and a sore throat, the outcome isn’t healthy. Plus, no fashionista wants to find it on her favourite pair of shoes. That just isn’t cricket!

Air Freshener

If there is one culprit in the house you wouldn’t think was poisonous, it would be the Glade. Sadly, nothing is sacred in this world as an air freshener gives off glycol ethers and terpenes. In a room with no ventilation, they react to form a poisonous gas that is very powerful. It might not be CO, yet it will cause headaches and a feeling of nausea. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they have to go if you want to be healthy. At the least, there needs to be better ventilation in the house.

Look out for the pollutants above as they might damage your health in the long-term.

No comments:

Post a Comment